Luciana Berger was first elected as a Member of Parliament in 2010 aged 28.
During her time in Parliament she has served as a shadow Minister for Energy and Climate Change, Shadow Minister for Public Health and was the first ever Shadow Cabinet Minister for Mental Health. Luciana has served as a member of the Health and Social Care Select Committee since 2016.
Luciana has long been calling for increased awareness, parity of esteem and improvement of mental health services. Luciana recently led a campaign calling on the government to expand employers’ responsibility to include Mental Health First Aiders, and was successful in amending a bill to introduce ‘breathing space’ for those in a mental health crisis who are struggling with serious debt. Luciana also led the successful campaign to ban smoking in cars with children.
In early 2019, Luciana left the Labour party, identifying it as 'institutionally racist'. She also highlighted her serious concern about the leadership's refusal to take a clear position in the face of Brexit. In September 2019, Luciana joined the Liberal Democrats.
Outside of parliament, Luciana is an advisory board member of the Money and Mental Health Policy Institute, a Vice-President of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy, a Vice President of the Jewish Leadership Council and an honorary fellow of the University of Liverpool’s Heseltine Institute.
Luciana is the recipient of several awards including most recently:
- Parliamentary Campaigner of the Year at the Positive Practice Collaborative National Mental Health Awards 2016
- The Patchwork Foundation’s People’s Choice Backbencher of the Year Award 2018
- The Jo Cox Memorial Award for Bravery & Heroism at the 2018 #No2H8 Crime Awards
- The annual Jewish Care Woman of Distinction award in May 2019
- Luciana is featured in the 2019 Vogue 25 - a list compiled by Vogue Magazine of 25 'high-powered and visionary women whose work is shaping Britain’s future.'
Luciana is married to Alistair and is Mum to Amélie and Zion.
Find out more about why Luciana is standing to be the new MP for Finchley and Golders Green here: www.lucianaberger.uk/why-im-standing